Saturday 6 March 2010

Canadian Travel Writers, Canada geese

We can never say that our life here at Penyrallt is dull and lacking interest.
Today we entertained to lunch a delightful group of Canadian & American travel writers who were brought to West Wales by Visit Wales. Having been to see the Welsh Wool Museum at Drefach Velindre, about 3 miles from here, they were given the opportunity to see a real working farm and to meet real working farmers. We do like to encourage visitors to the farm and when they are as pleasant and interested as this group it is well worth it.
They were so appreciative of the the lunch I provided, particularly the selection of local cheeses (Caws Cenarth) and the bread made by our friend the Bread-Maker in his wood-fired bread oven (Mairs' Bakehouse).
After lunch the Farmer & I took them on a walk around the farm and ended the tour with a demonstration by Molly the sheepdog out in the field with the ewes & lambs, which is always a joy to behold.
We were sorry we were not able to have longer with the writers, to be able to talk in more detail about the multitude of topics that came up in the general conversation but they had to go on to their next port of call, Carreg Cennen Castle.

The last few mornings we have heard the lovely haunting cry of Canada geese flying through the valley to the bend of the river near our local town where they congregate in large numbers. Occasionally a pair will land on one of the ponds on the farm but I don't think they have ever nested here.

With the return of Elder Son & KT, I have relinquished my responsibility for the hens. I must admit I do not miss the collection, cleaning & boxing of the eggs. Though I quite enjoyed it for the five weeks I had to do it, I was quite glad to hand it all back to KT. Hens have never been my favourite creatures, though the little bantams are very decorative. They have taken to scratching around in the garden through all the dead leaves and the detritus of last year that I must get round to clearing up as soon as the weather improves.

While the snowdrops are glimmering beautifully in the hedgebanks, the daffodils are still no more than tight buds. Usually by now they are in flower all over the place.
With the longer days now I should be able to get out in the gardens...I have two seperate gardens to manage here and they are both looking the worse for wear after the hard winter and it will be great to have tidying up sessions and to see what has survuved the snow & frost. I have found hyacinths shooting up and some crocus have struggled through though everything else still seems to be waiting for some real warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment